As much as I love to just run, I know my aging body needs a balance of running and core strength work. Right now, I am enjoying some easy miles a few times a week and adding in more core and strength workouts before I start rebuilding my base mileage for early spring 10ks and half marathons. Honestly, it is a mental challenge at times to commit to consistent, daily and weekly workouts that strengthen my core, improve my balance and my flexibility. However, I know how important all those pieces are to my continued running success.
Lately, the stability ball has kept me focused, engaged and motivated to incorporate core strength workouts into my weekly running schedule. I have a few “Go-to” Stability Ball Exercises that I rounded up from this SITE
- Wall Squat-Great for strengthening back and quads- 5 Reps, 1 minute each
- Bridge-Focus on the Hips- 5 Reps, 1 minute each
- Pike-Love this SITE for proper form and technique
- Ball Leg Lifts- Great video HERE
- Reverse Lunge- Check out this VIDEO for proper form and technique
Finally, this is a good set of exercises with the Stability Ball that I have kept me engaged and motivated to be more consistent with core and strength training!
How do you fit in core strength to your weekly running routine? What is your “must have” piece of equipment for core and strength training?